Thursday, November 11, 2010

Doing your own dirty work...

I guess it was a week ago now when I went to get my oil changed.  Naturally, being a girl I go into that situation defensive.  You start with, "I just want an oil change, nothing else".  Then they come into the waiting room and say, "Can we just show you a few things?"  UGH!  So in a effort to not be "mean" I humor them and listen to them tell me all of the things I need to replace, how I need a tune up, etc, etc, etc. So he showed me both my interior cabin filter and my engine air filter.  I had to agree I could see they both needed to be changed but I said no thank you to spending $44 to get them changed.  Immediately after I paid and left I drove straight to Auto Zone.  For you locals, the one in Pflugerville on FM685 by Sonic.
At Auto Zone I told them what I needed: (1) interior cabin air filter and (1) engine air filter for a 2006 Toyota Matrix.  Two seconds later, they brought them up to the counter to check out.  Showed me 2 options for the engine one, I chose the better quality one which happened to be only $1 more.  I already knew how to change my interior cabin filter.  (mine is just behind the glove compartment, SO easy to get to)  So, I asked the guy to show me how to change the engine one.  I was a little shocked at how easy this one was to change too.  It was a compartment right on top, didn't even get dirty changing it.
All in all I spent $33, $10 less than the oil change place and now I know how to change them both!

1 comment: